A little selection of the best articles and interviews about AA and his art.
NP Magazine, issue n.1, 2009. A long interview with AA about his creative portfolio
GAE MAG, issue n. 1, 2007, USA. An article about AA’s “rooms”, with very big photos.
NP Magazine, 2008, Italy. “The 2008 Weird Calendar”, with the characteristic design and paintings of AA. Published month by month.
Ellisse, June 2008, Italy. An article about to colorful world of AA.
NP Magazine, MArch 2008, Italy. An interview with the artist about his paintings inspired by New York.
Corriere dell’Arte, La Stampa, To Magazine (2010). Interviews and critics about AA’s exhibitions and book covers
- Filmstrips hang to dry. Solo exhibition Bergamo Film Meeting, Bergamo, Italy
- New York Collection. Solo exhibition sponsored by private art collectors, Paris, France
- Art à porter. Solo Exhibition, Exfabbricadellebambole, Milan, Italy
- Venice Biennale. Group Exhibition, Padiglione Italia, Castiglia di Saluzzo, Saluzzo (CN), Italy
- Wanderlust. Solo exhibition sponsored by private art collectors,New York, USA
- Torineide, de mirabile et inaudita exploratione. Solo Exhibition. Natural Science Museum, Turin, Italy (details)
- Italiane. Group Exhibition. Villa Amoretti, Turin, Italy
- Ad Arte. MAU (Museum of Urban Art), Group Exhibition. Turin, Italy
- 150 Years of United Italy. Group Exhibition. Sala delle colonne, Castello Reale del Valentino, Turin, Italy. Whith the patronage of Piedmont Region, Province of Turin, City of Turin.
- Arte Padova. International art fair. with AV Art Gallerie & Fondazione Artevision, Padova, Italy (details)
- Art Made in Italy. Group Exhibition. Palais de Congrés, Forum de l’Investissement. Paris. France
- Symbols, Signs and Colours from the World. Group Exhibition. Galerie Brehova, Praha, Czech Republic. With the patronage of Italian Culture Insitute
- The Die is Cast. Group Exhibition. Villa Gualino, Turin, Italy
- Turin: A Dreamt City. Solo Exhibition, AV Art Gallerie & Fondazione Artevision, Turin, Italy (details)
- WeCamp. Group Exhibition, Campidoglio, Turin, Italy
- Arbor Tauriniensis. Installation, Festival Internazionale dell’Oralità, Piazza Carignano, Turin, Italy (details)
- Courtship in the Arts. Group Exhibition, AV Art Gallerie & Fondazione Artevision, Turin, Italy
- Turin Tales. Group Exhibition. Valla Amoretti, Turin, Italy
- Torineide. Solo exhibition, Martin Arte, Turin, Italy (details)
- Help! Group Exhibition. Caffè Chinese Art Gallery, Turin, Italy
- Christmas Tale. Group Exhibition. AV Art Gallery & Fondazione Artevision, Turin, Italy
- Just with a Pencil… Solo exhibition sponsored by private art collectors, Montreal, Canada, Phoenix, Washington DC, USA
- Visioni di una città per colori a coda e cembali scrivani. Solo exhibition, D’Oria Palace, Ciriè, taly. Sponsored by the City of Citirè. (details)
- Spaces. Solo exhibition, Drea Group, Turin, Italy
- At Theatre. Solo exhibition, Officine H, Ivrea, Italy
- Toys. Group exhibition, Palazzo Rospigliosi, Zagarolo, Rome, Italy
- Canvas Sailed Ships for Other Voyages. Solo exhibition, Modern Art Gallery, Turin, Italy
- Kunstart. International Art Fair, Bolzano
- That Which the Stars Don’t Say. Solo exhibition, Chiesa dell’Assunta, Cuneo, Italy
- Cinema Italian Divas. National Museum of Cinema, D’Oria Palace, Ciriè, Italy
- Symphony for Simultaneous Colour. Solo exhibition, Caffè Chinese Art Gallery, Turin, Italy
- It’s Jam Every Other Day. Solo exhibition, Caleidos Cultural Association, Turin, Italy
- Visions. Solo exhibition sponsored by private art collectors, New York, USA
- Convium. Group exhibition, Catartica Fine Arts Gallery, Turin, Italy
- Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast. Solo exhibition, Caleidos Cultural Association, Turin, Italy
- Feira de la Publicidad. Selected paintings, International Advertising Fair, Madrid, Spain
- Cuori Smascherati. Group exhibition, Salone dei Cavalieri, Pinerolo, Italy
- InPrinting. Solo exhibition sponsored by private art collectors, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“…an eternal explorer sailing back and forth across an ocean of creativity to new lands of discovery” is how AA, the artist philosopher, describes himself. A navigator from painting to sculpture, poetry to philosophy, or novels to theatre; A true Renaissance man. Though primarily a painter, his projects include collaborations with photographers, graphic designers, architects and art directors on an international level.
Andrea Aste’s early life was quite adventurous. Born in Italy, his family immigrated to Argentina. They were forced to flee the country during the Videla dictatorship and return to Italy where his studio The Whale’s Belly is currently located.
With no formal training, his love affair with art began after he received his Masters in analytic philosophy at the University of Torino.
“I was in London viewing an exhibition. Up until then, I lived in a world quite cold, made up of theorems, rigid definitions and logic. At one point I found myself in an empty white room. Suddenly something very strange and exciting happened; out of nowhere, I envisioned vibrant colored paintings hanging upon the once bare walls…These were my paintings! They belonged to me. It was an epiphany. That day I discovered the difference from describing the world and savoring it…”
From that moment on AA began his personal artistic research combining an alchemy of art and philosophy which found expression in “Convivia”, an art and philosophy magazine of which he is Acting Director.
Regularly AA is invited by Universities and schools of art to guest speak and lecture on his research.
“From my point of view art should be something to enjoy. It should aid people in forgetting their worries, showing the beautifulness of being in the here and now, the magic of being alive. I invite the viewer into my world like a guest into my home. I want them to be relaxed and comfortable. My paintings accomplish their purposes if when taken into a home or gallery, they create a sense of happiness and an appreciation.”
.The works of Andrea Aste are a joyful inquiry into reality. An attempt to tear away Maya’s veil with usage of nonsense and spatial deformations combined with his personal use of bright colours, perfectly reflecting his sunny personality.
“I prefer to focus my attention on the beauty in the world. Why concentrate on the negative aspects of existence? These are burdens which prevent us from soaring and reaching for a sense of tranquility and happiness. From being be able to accomplish something good and positive in our lives. Everything is marvelous. Everything is perfect in the way it is.”
And indeed through the works of AA the observer looks at the world with the eye of a child, everything has a spirit, is alive, everything talk to him capturing him in a dimension made up of delicate and poetic atmospheres, suspended in a land without time and space.
“Each day we must remind ourselves to experience something new. To discover tastes never savoured. Letting ourselves give into other sensations. To fearlessly explore the world that exists outside the walls in which we confine ourselves. Once beyond the horizon of what is familiar, to dance, be joyous, love… Every new horizon is a new universe awaiting.”